Luke 23:26-49 (NIV84)
44 It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last.
47 The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.” 48 When all the people who had gathered to witness this sight saw what took place, they beat their breasts and went away. 49 But all those who knew him, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.
Jesus would struggle for every breath as he hung on the cross. Crucifixion killed people by suffocating them. To gain a breath Jesus had to push against the nails that tore into his feet. Every word Jesus uttered came with a gasp for air. Take a moment and consider each of the last sayings of Jesus.
Jesus’ 7 Last Sayings in Scripture
- “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” — Luke 23:34
- “Today shalt thou be with Me in paradise.” — Luke 23:43
- “Woman, behold thy Son.” — John 19:26
- “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?” — Mark 15:34
- “I thirst.” — John 19:28
- “It is finished.” — John 19:30
- “Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit.” — Luke 23:46